Below there is information about the 2012 fiscal year budget. There are also related documents on the right sidebar including PDF resources available for download:
November 16, 2011:
The FY12 budget was formally adjusted on Wednesday, November 16th by the School Committee. This revision reflects adjustments in personnel spending for accuracy only. There was no change in the overall operating expenditures.
March 21, 2011:
On Monday evening, March 21st, the School Committee adopted a Final Operating Budget for Fiscal Year 2012 in the amount of $38,132,241 for total general operating and debt expenditures. This represents a net increase in spending of 1.71%, inlcuding an increase of 2.09% in operating and a decrease of 1.97% in capital debt expenditures. The overall increase in spending on general operating expenditures is $710,362.
This final budget voted tonight provides a net increase in assessment to the member communities of 2.50%, or $614,392.
The final budget requires no cuts to services, but finds savings through efficiencies and reductions necessated by enrollments. It also includes the addition of two librarians, bringing a full time librarian back to all three elementary schools. The changes include:
- Reduction of 1.0 FTE at the High School (portions of several sections due to decreased enrollment)
- Increase of 1.0 FTE Librarian at Newbury Elementary, and the reduction the 1.0 FTE Library IA.
- Increase of 1.0 FTE Librarian at Pine Grove School, and the reduction of the 1.0 FTE Library IA.
- Existing Librarian to full 1.0 FTE at Salisbury Elementary, and the reduction of the 1.0 FTE Library IA.
- Reduction of 1.0 FTE Speech and Language Therapist due to over provisioning for these services.
- Retention of the Peer Mediation stipends for advisors and Gifted and Talented Team members.
- Savings of $50,000 in electricity costs through aggressive conservation campaign
- Savings of $30,000 in transportation costs through the reduction of one regular day bus run
- Savings of $40,000 through retirements
- NO CHANGES in user fees
To download a copy of the final budget, use the tab up to the right.
March 16, 2011:
Per the requirements of MGL c.71, s.38N, the documents for consideration at the Public Hearing on the FY12 Operating Budget are available at the links on the right or on the Budget Archives. These documents include the Tentative Budget as approved on February 9th with supporting documentation and information regarding the impact of a 0% increase in the assessment to the member towns.
***Following the public hearing, a final budget will be presented and voted upon on Monday, March 21st at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.***
March 9, 2011:
Based upon the request of the Boards of Selectmen in Newbury and Rowley, the Triton adminstration presented a scenario to the School Committee that would provide the necessary savings to yeild a 0% increase in the assessment to member towns. This would result in a total required cut from level services of close to $800,000. The cuts proposed are outlined as Annex II in the final budget document. .
It is important to note that this is not a new proposal for a budget. The tentative budget approved by the Committee on February 9th is still the tentative budget. The discussion will continue on Wednesday, March 16th at 7:00 p.m. at the Public Hearing on the FY12 Operating Budget.
March 1, 2011:
There have been a few adjustements to the upcoming meeting schedule for the budget process:
- Wednesday, March 9th: Regular Committee meeting and FY12 Budget discussion
- Wednesday, March 16th: Public Hearing on FY12 Operating Budget
- Wednesday, March 21st: Final Vote on FY12 Operating Budget
February 9, 2011:The Triton Regional School Committee unanimously approved a Tentative FY12 Operating Budget on Wednesday, February 9th. The budget was generated based upon the school committee guidance provided at the February 7th meeting, suggesting a target of scenario 4. That being the case, the tentative budget calls for cuts from level services in the amount of $196,075. It assumes the Governor’s proposed Chapter 70 (state aid) figure and requires an average increase to the towns assessments of 2.81%.
It is important to note that this is a tentative budget that is subject to change. We are still many weeks away from a final budget. Figures for expenditures such as medical insurance, and revenues such as Chapter 70, have yet to be finalized. While will not have solid figures for all revenues before finalizing a budget, more clarification should be provided in the coming weeks.
To view the entire approved FY12 Tentative Operating Budget, containing details on the proposed cuts, the assessments, and other assumptions, click to view archived Budget documents.
February 7, 2011:
At their meeting held on Monday, February 7, 2011, the Triton Regional School Committee reviewed docments outlining 4 possible revenue scenarios. The four scenarios required cuts from level services ranging from $1,300,000 (scenario 1) to just under $150,000 (scenario 4). At the conclusion of the meeting, the committee gave direction to the administration to propose a tentative budget with a target of scenario 4. This scenario assumed a state revenue figure in line with the Governor’s proposed budget (House 1) and an average increase to the 3 towns of 3%. Scenario 4 results in a cut from level services of just under $150,000.
USE THE PAGE LINKS AT THE RIGHT TO VIEW UPDATED PROCESS INFORMATION AND DOCUMENTS
The FY12 budget cycle brings with it a few changes in the process. While the normal approval timelines will be adhered to, we’ll be adding additional presentations from the principals and program managers that will allow for the School Committee to hear requests directly from district administrators. These requests will be presented alongside the School Improvement Plans which outline the goals and objectives for the upcoming year.
More information will be posted as we go through the process. The schedule is as follows:
- October through December: Internal Budget and School Improvement Plan (SIP) work and preparation
- November 18th at 7:00 PM: District Budget Advisory Committee Meeting (School Committee, Administration, Town Officials)
- December 17th: SIPS and Budgets due to Central Office
- December 17th to January 5th: District Review
- January 6th at 6:00 PM: Principal Budget Presentations: Newbury, Pine Grove, and Salisbury
- January 10th at 6:00 PM: Principal Budget Presentations: Middle and High School
- January 11th at 6:00 PM: District Department Budget Presentations: Special Education, Curriculum/PD, Technology, District)
- Saturday, January 15th at 8:00 AM: School Committee Budget Workshop – Committee to Set Funding Focus
- January 17th to February 2nd: District Administrative Budget Preparation
- Thursday, January 27th at 7:00 PM: District Budget Advisory Committee
- Wednesday, February 2, 2011: First Draft Budget Presentation to School Committee
- February 3rd through the 8th: Administration and Finance Sub Committee reviews draft 1
- Wednesday, February 9, 2011: Second Draft Budget Presentation to School Committee and Tentative Budget Voted
- February 10th to March 8th: Administration and Finance Sub Committee reviews Tentative Budget
- Wednesday, March 9, 2011: Discussion on FY12 Tentative Budget
- Wednesday, March 16, 2011: Public Hearing on FY12 Operating Budget
- March 17th through the 29th: Administration and Finance Sub Committee reviews Tentative Budget and Public Hearing minutes
- Wednesday, March 30, 2011: Final Budget Presented and Voted